Charging error 3 means that your Roomba’s charging system is not working properly, and your robot may need a replacement. It is a common error on Roomba e, i, j, Roomba 520, and Roomba 891 vacuums.
Many cleaning experts recommend troubleshooting your vacuum before going for a replacement. Let’s check out all the fixes to eliminate Roomba Charging error 3.
4 Common Fixes for Roomba Charging Error 3
1. Clean Battery Contacts and Terminals
- Unscrew the bottom cover to access the bottom panel of the device.
- Check the yellow battery tag is completely removed.
- Check all terminals and connections. You may need a new battery if its terminals are damaged.
- Wipe dock connections and battery terminals with a soft sponge dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Reinstall the battery and reattach the bottom cover.
- Clean the charging points on the dock station.
- Charge your device for 12 hours at least and check if error code 3 still appears.
2. Reset/Replace Your Roomba If Charging System is Damaged
A faulty charging system warrants Roomba replacement. However, you may be able to avoid it by resetting your battery.
- Check your vacuum’s charger and power cord; replace if damaged.
- Reset the vacuum by pressing the side buttons on your robot for 10 seconds.
- Press the back button on your Roomba for 5 seconds to turn off its sensors.
- Wait for 10 seconds and then press and hold these buttons together again for 5 seconds.
- Hard reset your Roomba by unplugging it from the power source. Wait for 2-3 minutes, and plug your device again into the power source.
3. Replace Battery
Roomba’s battery usually lasts 2-3 years with 400 charge cycles. Quick charging and draining time indicate a dead battery. Replace the battery before replacing the unit.
An overworked (hot battery) may not charge completely. It is best to let the battery cool down before recharging it.
4. Replace Roomba’s Motherboard
You’ll have to replace Roomba’s motherboard if the above solutions don’t work. Contact Roomba’s customer service for more details.
Reasons behind Roomba Charging Error 3
- Faulty charging system
- Dead battery
- Dust on battery terminals
- Faulty mother board
How to reset Roomba after charging errors?
Simultaneously hold the two buttons present above and below the clean button for 10 seconds. Charge your vacuum 100% before using it again after a reset,
How will you know that your Roomba battery is bad and needs replacement?
- The battery has a short working time
- The battery doesn’t hold a charge
- The power light doesn’t go on
- Battery performance doesn’t improve after cleaning and resetting
How much does a Roomba battery cost?
Every Roomba model needs a different battery. The average cost of a Roomba battery is between 65 to 100 dollars depending upon the battery’s capacity and your robot’s model.
Other Famous Error Codes on Roomba: