Roomba is a smart robotic cleaner that knows its way to the charging station and navigates your house. It saves your time and energy by cleaning your floor quickly without any supervision. Apart from such benefits, the Roomba sometimes causes frustration when it doesn’t dock.
If your Roomba finds it challenging to reach its charging station, something might prevent its path to the dock room. It could be due to the dust and debris accumulations on the charging dock and charging points. If your Roomba won’t dock, read this fixing guide to resolve this issue.
Why Won’t Roomba Dock?
If your Roomba isn’t docking, then it is clear that something is blocking your Roomba from docking. It could be anything in its path back to its charging station. It could also be due to dirt accumulations on its charging station and charging points.
You need to clean the charging station if you find dust there, properly. Besides this, you should also clean the charging connectors and points so that your Roomba can dock easily. To clean dirt particles, you can use moist melamine foam.
If, after cleaning, your Roomba doesn’t go back to its charging station, it means there is a problem in its navigation. So, it would help if you cleared its path from obstructions and wires. Roomba needs a clear way to navigate back to its dock. Thus, the most common reasons your Roomba isn’t docking back are below.
- The charging connector has dirt, so the Roomba cannot find it.
- There may be hurdles in the path of Roomba or some objects in the bumper.
How to Fix Roomba that Won’t Dock?
Roomba is a great robotic vacuum that significantly helps you clean floors and carpets. You should perform a little resetting method when your vacuum doesn’t dock. Unplug your Roomba or turn off its power. Wait for about 30 seconds. Then plug it back again to the charging point. If this trick doesn’t work, then go for other fixing steps.
It will help if you fix a few things to dock your Roomba usually. First, you should check the charging dock. Check whether it is plugged in and not facing any hurdle.
After checking the dock, try to reset your Roomba by pressing its “Clean” button. Press and hold this button for at least 20 seconds. If the docking issue persists, check your vacuum cleaning sensors. Press the “Clean” button for 10 seconds and blow the dust from the sensors with the help of a can of compressed air.
If all these solutions do not work, you have to change your charging dock as it might be faulty.
Steps to Fix Roomba That Won’t Dock
Here are the simple steps to follow if your Roomba device isn’t docking.
- First of all, check the charging cables or wires carefully. Inspect them thoroughly for any signs of damage.
- If wires are fine, connect your device charger to the power outlet in the wall.
- Check if the power indicator turns solid green.
- When the charger plugs into the home base, double-check if it is properly inserted.
- Check virtual walls also. The virtual walls lighthouse stays 8 feet from the home base to avoid interference of infrared beam.
- Also, check the bumper and docking station path. If you find any strange object in the bumper or the way of docking station, remove it immediately.
- Clean Roomba and its charging points with dry eraser sponges. Clean any dust and debris accumulated there.
- Keep your dock in a vast open space.
- Always keep your Roomba within 6 feet of the home base. Click the lock button to keep a record of its progress.
There could be other reasons also that prevent Roomba from docking. Read them below.
- Debris accumulation behind the docking unit. (Remove dirt from behind the docking unit and vacuum cleaner also)
- Obstructions blocking the Roomba sensor. (Remove any obstacle that blocks Roomba sensors)
- Faulty Roomba Cleaner Sensors. (Replace the faulty sensors)
- The docking station pins are not working. (Repair or replace them with the help of a professional)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What to do if Roomba won’t dock?
If your Roomba won’t dock, there is some obstruction in its path of going back to its charging station. So, remove the hurdles from its path. Besides this, dirt accumulation on its charging station is another reason for its not docking. Thus, cleaning all charging points and its charging station also helps Roomba docking.
2. Why does Roomba not return to its home base?
If you picked and moved Roomba during cleaning, it will not find its way to the home base when the “Dock” button is pressed. It will return to its home base only when it is placed toward the home base within its 6 feet or 1.8 meters vicinity.
3. How does Roomba find its dock?
There is an infrared receiver on the front bumper of the Roomba charger. When the vacuum’s battery gets low, it starts finding the infrared signals its charger emits. After finding the signal, Roomba follows it and docks itself to the charger.
4. Is this true that Roomba automatically docks itself?
Yes, its true Roomba can automatically dock itself. But, it only happens when Roomba’s battery gets low.