Motor oil stored in the trunk can spill due to various reasons. It is a tough stain, but you can remove it using common household items.
- Baking soda/corn starch
- White vinegar
- Vacuum cleaner
- Dry cleaning fluid
- Warm water
- Liquid detergent
Follow the steps mentioned below to remove motor oil from the trunk carpet. You can use these steps on other carpets as well.
- Start by sprinkling baking soda on the stain. You can also use corn starch if you don’t have baking soda.
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and vacuum the carpet.
- Pour a few drops of dry cleaning fluid on a clean cloth and apply the cloth directly over the motor oil stain.
- Blot the stain with a clean cloth. Slightly stained carpets will be cleaned till now.
Follow the steps below for tough stains.
- Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar 1 tablespoon of liquid detergent in 2 cups of warm water.
- Soak a sponge with this solution and scrub the stained area until the remaining oil residue disappears.
- Rinse the area with cold water and let dry.
That’s it. This is the simplest way to get motor oil out of the trunk carpet.
Some other Methods to Clean Trunk Carpet
Oil Based Solvents
You can also use oil-based solvents to remove motor oil from the trunk carpet. Scrub the stain with oil-based solvent and then remove the carpet and wash it in your washing machine.
Soak the carpet in hot water and add some dishwasher to it. Scrub the stains using a medium-hard brush for scrubbing. Get ready for some elbow grease, as this will not be an easy task.
Washing the Carpet
Wash the carpet with a carpet-cleaner as soon as you see the stains. Follow the instructions on the packing for better results.
How to remove oil stains from the driveway or garage?
- Cover wet stains with baking soda or cornstarch to absorb the oil before it dries up.
- Once the oil dries up, remove the sprayed material and wet it with water.
- If the stain dried some time ago, skip the two steps above and start the cleaning process by wetting it with water.
- Pick a scrubbing brush as per the floor material. Scrub the area with a thick paste of baking soda and water.
- Use a high-pressure water stream to clean the area.
Leave a Reply