Roomba makes your life easy with its automated cleaning. However, like all vacuum cleaners, robotic vacuums require periodic maintenance.
You need to empty Roomba’s bin and bag to keep it working. This article explains everything you need to know about emptying a Roomba bin or bag.
Generic Guide to Empty Roomba
- Remove the bin and empty its contents. Use a face mask if you are allergic to dust.
- The instructions to clean the bin or bag are mentioned in the user manual. You can also access the information from Roomba’s App (iRobot Home) by selecting your robot>maintenance>emptying the dustbin.
It is a generic process to empty the Roomba bin. Continue reading to find bin/bag emptying information for Roomba’s most used models.
Method to Empty Roomba 600 Series
This method works for Roomba 600 series, including 614, 675, and 670 models.
- On your vacuum’s edge, there is a tab. Press this tab to open the dustbin.
- Press the small yellow latch present on the bin’s edge to pull the bin out.
- Discard the trash in a trash can.
- Locate the filter, empty it and reinstall it.
- Replace the clean and empty dustbin in your vacuum.
Method to Empty Roomba Series 800 and 900
Follow the given steps to empty your Roomba 805, 890, 960, and 980.
- Press the tab on the edge of the Roomba vacuum to pull out the dustbin.
- Open the dustbin’s door by pulling its top towards the ground.
- Tap the dustbin to empty it into your trash can.
- If necessary, wipe the dustbin with a microfiber cloth.
- Then access the filter and pull it out from the dustbin
- Remove the tab that projects from the filter’s corner.
- Clean and empty the filter with a tap.
- Ensure the tab is facing upright when replacing the bin’s filter.
- Close the latch and close the door.
- Place the bin back in the vacuum.
Besides filter cleaning, Roomba series 800 and 900’s sensors should also be cleaned. You can use microfiber cloth or melamine foam to clean dirt from sensors.
Method to Empty Roomba Series s9
Roomba series s9 is washable, so it has a different emptying method than other vacuum models. Follow the below-mentioned easiest steps to empty your Roomba s9.
- Lift the top cover of the vacuum to remove the dustbin.
- Pull the side handle to remove the dustbin from the vacuum.
- Remove the filter present inside the dustbin.
- Clear filter from debris and dirt.
- Click the grey release button to take out the dustbin.
- Empty the dustbin’s content into the trash can. Dab it to discard all the content.
- Rinse the vacuum’s dustbin with cold water and place it upright to dry.
- Remove dust from the sensor with a microfiber cloth.
- Reinstall the filter once the dustbin is dry.
- Close the bin’s lid and place it in the vacuum.
Methods to Empty Bin of Roomba Series-I and Series-E
- Push the bin release button (engraved with a bin icon) to release the bin from the vacuum.
- Open the bin and empty the trash in a trash can.
- Remove the filter and clean it.
- Reinstall the filter and bin to continue working.
How to Empty Roomba Bag?
Here’s how you can replace the bag in the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal.
- Open the lid at the top, grab the carb, and pull out the bag. The card seals the bag, so debris doesn’t get out.
- Drop the bag and the card in the trash can.
- To install a new bag, slide the card into the guide rails.
- Push the lid to make sure it is fully closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Roomba bags reusable?
No, Roomba bags aren’t reusable. If you reuse your Roomba bag, it will damage the vacuum, especially its clean base. You should replace the old bag with the new one after a month or 60 days. After 10 cycles, it is a must to replace your Roomba bag. Besides this, whenever you feel your bag is getting firm like a pillow, you should immediately replace it.
How often should the Roomba bin be emptied?
It’s recommended to empty your Roomba bin after every cleaning session. iRobot even tells you to rinse its bin with warm water when necessary. Cleaning the bin regularly helps your Roomba work efficiently and maximizes its lifespan.
Which Roomba can self empty?
The Roomba i3+EVO is one of the most affordable vacuums by iRobot. It has a unique feature of self-cleaning its bin. This robot offers a hands-free cleaning of its bin.
How can I Clean the Washable Bin and Bin Well on my Roomba Cleaner?
Follow the steps below to clean the Roomba S series vacuum bin and bin well.
- Locate the bin handle, lift it, and pull it up to remove the bin.
- Take the bin to the trash can and open the door on the bottom to dispose of debris.
- Close the door and bin handle.
- Remove the filter by opening the door on top of the bin. Tap the filter 1-2 times against a trash container to remove dust and debris. Do not wash the filter.
- Rinse the bin with warm water without the filter to wash it. Check there is no debris clinging to the sides when washing.
- Let the bin air dry; do not use a hair dryer or any other heating device to dry the bin.
- Close the bottom lid once the bin is completely dry. Insert the filter and close the filter door; ensure that it snaps into place.
- Wipe the bin sensors with a clean, dry microfiber cloth when the bin is removed.
- Place the bin back into the robot and lower the bin handle; close the lid, and ensure it snaps into place.