The most unpleasant household chore you’ll ever come across is cleaning vomits. The ordeal gets even tough if you have to clean vomit from carpets without baking soda and vinegar.
Don’t worry! This guide explains different methods for getting vomit out of the carpet if you don’t have baking soda and vinegar at home. The task is urgent because the vomit smell will make you crazy in a few minutes.
Remove Fresh Vomit Out of the Carpet
It is easier to remove fresh vomit from the carpet compared to dried or old. You can use the following two methods to clean fresh vomit from carpets.
Method 1: Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide not only helps remove stains; it also sanitizes and kills bacteria that may be present in the vomit. Don’t forget to test hydrogen peroxide on an inconspicuous area before applying it to a visible part. Here’s how to use hydrogen peroxide to clean fresh vomit from carpets.
- Wear protective gloves and a face mask.
- Remove as much vomit as you can with a scrapper. Keep a trash bag near so you can easily put the vomit in a trash bag. Tie the bag and discard.
- Mix equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle; spray over the stained area until it gets damp.
- Use a paper towel to blot the stained area; replace when the towel gets wet or saturated with vomit.
- Rinse with a towel damped in cloth water; let the carpet dry before using it.
- Repeat the process if required.
Method 2: Commercial Carpet Cleaners/Stain Removers
You can use commercial stain removers or carpet cleaners to clean vomit from the carpet. Don’t forget to check compatibility with your carpet type before buying a commercial cleaner and test it on a hidden spot.
- Wear a face mask and gloves to avoid contact.
- Remove as much vomit as you can with a scrapper.
- Apply commercial cleaner as per the instructions on the packaging.
- Dilute the solution before applying it as a concentrated solution is difficult to remove.
- Blot the cleaner with a paper towel.
- Rinse with a damp towel and let the carpet dry.
- Repeat if required.
Method 3: Steam Cleaners/Professional Carpet Cleaners
Machines work where humans fail. The simplest, easiest, and most effective way to remove vomit from the carpet is to use a cleaning machine or a steam cleaner.
Scrap as much vomit as you can from the spot. Dampen the vomit with water if it is dry to remove it. Treat the remaining puke like a simple mess; your carpet will be new again.
Method 4: Instant Clean-Up with Sand
You can also use sand to absorb fresh vomit. The method doesn’t deep clean the carpet but cleans fresh pukes. Cover the vomit with sand and lift the lump with a broom and dustpan.
Remove Dry Vomit Out of the Carpet
Dried vomit is tougher to remove than fresh vomit. It smells awful and often requires deep cleaning for 100% removal. Here’s how to remove dry vomit from the carpet without baking soda and vinegar.
- Wear a face mask and hand gloves for personal safety.
- Pour a few drops of warm water over the stained area to loosen it up. You can also place a warm water towel over the stain. Let the towel stay for a few minutes or until the vomit softens.
- Use a scraper to remove as much vomit as possible from the carpet.
- Treat the rest of the stain like a fresh vomit stain.
- You can use hydrogen peroxide or commercial cleaners to clean the remaining vomit.
How to Get Milk Vomit Smell Out of the Carpet?
The milk vomit smell is dreadful. You’ll know how bad it is if you have toddlers at home. The bad part: it makes you sick. The good part: you can remove it with common household supplies. Make sure you clean the vomit before applying any of the following agents.
Borax: Sprinkle equal parts of borax and baking soda on the smelling spot and let sit for a few minutes. Vacuum the powder and repeat if required.
Dish Soap and Warm Water: Mix a few drops of dish soap in warm water. Damp cloth or towel in the solution and place it over the smelly stain. Rinse the area with warm water and let it dry. Repeat if the smell didn’t vanish.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Add apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray over the smelly spot. You can place a cloth or towel over the spot to absorb the smell. Rinse the spot with a damp towel.
Baking Soda and Essential Oils: Add a few drops of essential oils in a cup of baking soda and apply over the carpet. Do not use colored oils, as they can discolor the carpet. Let it sit overnight. Rinse with warm water and vacuum to remove the -baking soda.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use to absorb vomit from the carpet?
You can use paper towels, carpet, or tissue paper to instantly absorb vomit from the carpet. Clean the stains instantly, as fresh ones are easier to clean than dried ones.
Are vomit stains permanent?
Vomit stains are not permanent, not even on fabrics. Dry vomit stains are hard to remove from carpets and clothes. These stains can be pesky if you do not use the correct method to remove them. Vomit stains are basically a protein that can be removed with a good cleanser and some household ingredients.
What ingredient is best to absorb the vomit smell from the carpet?
Vinegar and baking soda are the two main ingredients that can counter the vomit smell. But white vinegar has its pungent smell, so it’s better to use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. Along with these two ingredients, using natural plant oils and scented herbs is also beneficial to eliminate the vomit smell from the carpet.
Can I rub the vomit to clean it?
Never rub the vomit on carpets to clean it. Rubbing will spread the mess and push it down in the carpet fibers. You must blot the vomit with a paper towel or old towel to absorb as much liquid as possible.