Vinyl flooring needs regular cleaning and maintenance to avoid permanent damage. Let’s check out the easiest and most effective ways to clean different types of vinyl flooring.
How to Clean Vinyl Floors with Vinegar?
Vinegar is one of the best options for cleaning vinyl floors. You can either use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to clean your flooring.
- Vacuum the vinyl floor to remove dust and debris.
- Pour one gallon of moderately hot water and one cup of apple cider vinegar in a bucket. Mix it to make a solution.
- Take another bucket filled with one gallon of hot water for cleaning after using the diluted vinegar.
- Never try to mop the complete floor with vinegar in the first attempt. Clean one portion of the floor and then mop it with clean hot water. Continue this process until you clean the entire vinyl flooring.
- If you need to disinfect the floor, use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar.
How to Clean Discolored Vinyl Flooring?
Discoloration of vinyl flooring is caused due to liquid spills, food, makeup, moisture, and adhesives used to paste the vinyl flooring. Here’s how you can clean it.
Using Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol can help you remove stubborn makeup and ink stains.
- Fill a cup with rubbing alcohol.
- Wet a clean cloth with rubbing alcohol; wear gloves to avoid itchiness.
- Rub the cloth gently on the affected areas. Always use soft hands to lift the stains.
Using Baking Soda
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and water. The quantity of the paste depends on the number of stains on the floor.
- Apply the paste to the stains by using a soft piece of cloth. Cover all the stains present on your vinyl floor with special focus on the tough ones.
- Rub the paste gently on stains with an old toothbrush.
- Wipe off the remaining baking soda from the floor and allow it to dry. Repeat, if needed.
Using Dish Soap and Vinegar
- Add one gallon of warm water and one cup of apple cider vinegar in a bucket.
- Take one tablespoon of dish soap and add it to the bucket.
- Thoroughly mix the contents.
- Wet a mop in the cleaning solution and clean your floor.
- Allow the floor to dry completely.
Using Baking Soda and Lemon
- Make a paste with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Apply the paste to the stained areas and let it site for 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the leftover paste with a wet cloth.
How to Clean Textured Vinyl Flooring?
- Vacuum your textured vinyl flooring to remove dust and debris.
- Add one cup of white vinegar to 1 gallon of hot water or a few drops of dishwasher soap into a half-filled warm water bucket. Mop the floor to remove dust and dirt stains.
- Use the baking soda-water paste to remove food stains from textured vinyl flooring.
- Use rubbing alcohol to remove ink & makeup stains.
- Let the floor dry completely before using it.
Click here to read more on how to clean textured vinyl flooring.
How to Clean Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
You can use the following techniques to clean luxury vinyl floors.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar
- Clean the floor with a broom or a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and debris.
- Add one gallon of water and a cup of apple cider vinegar to make a cleaning solution. The solution must be dilute so it doesn’t damage the flooring.
- Wet a mop thoroughly, squeeze it and then mop the floors.
- Clean one part of the floor and rinse the mop. Repeat the process for other parts.
- Add some dishwashing liquid if your floor has grime.
Using Isopropyl Alcohol or Baking Soda and Water
To remove stains from luxury vinyl plank floors, you can either use isopropyl alcohol or baking soda with water.
- To remove stains with isopropyl alcohol, use a microfiber cloth and dip it into the alcohol and rub it on the stains to remove them.
Baking Soda and Water
- Make a thick paste from baking soda and water.
- Apply the paste with an old toothbrush over the stained areas and let it sit for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the paste with a clean cloth.
- Repeat if needed.
- Use vinyl sealer or baby oil for marks and scratches.
How to Clean Shaw Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Remove dust, spills, and dirt must with a vacuum or a dry mop before deep cleaning.
- Prepare a mixture of apple cider vinegar and warm water by adding 1 cup of white vinegar and one gallon of hot water.
- Apply the solution onto the floor with the help of a mop. Never forget to rinse the mop with fresh water while cleaning.
Using Dishwashing Soap
It is best for extremely dirty floors.
- Make a solution with vinegar and water and add few drops of dishwashing soap.
- Use a mop to clean the floor.
Using Baking Soda
It is best for food stains.
- Take baking soda and add some water to create a paste.
- Apply that paste on the stains and rub them with the help of a damp towel.
- Rub gently to remove the stains and then clean the area with the help of a damp mop.
Using Jojoba Oil
Use jojoba oil to remove scuffed areas.
- Apply some amount of jojoba oil onto the damp towel.
- Rub the towel on the rough marks to remove them.
- Take vinegar and mix it into the water to make a solution and use it to remove oil from the floor.
Cleaning Products Safe for Vinyl Planks
- Baking soda
- Rubbing alcohol
- Dishwasher detergent with low pH
- Jojoba oil
- Commercial cleaners