Fresh paint on your doors, windows, and walls always bring novelty and brightness to your place. Along with newness, paint on your room brings some stress if it is accidentally spilled on the floor. If you are lucky and see paint stains when they are fresh, you can easily wipe them off with a cloth and water. But, if the paint stains go unnoticed and you see them when they get dried, it will be complicated to remove them from the floor.
Fortunately, the laminate floor is resistant to stains more than regular hardwood flooring. Even though the laminate floor is durable, removing dried paint stains from the laminate floor without care and harsh chemicals can damage it badly. In this guide, I will provide you with the most effective and practical ways of removing dried gloss paint from laminate flooring.
1. Homemade Cleaner
- Before applying homemade cleaner to the painted surface, you must clear the floor first. Use a broom or a vacuum cleaner to wipe off the dust and other particles from the laminated floor surface.
- To make your homemade cleaner, you need vinegar, rubbing alcohol, dish soap, and water. Take equal parts of vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water into a bucket and mix them well.
- Add a few drops of dish soap and add them to the mixture. You have to mix them until the soap suds begin to form.
- Wet a clean piece of cloth or rag into the solution and scrub the paint stains on your laminated floor in a back and forth movement.
- Rinse the rag again into the solution and continue scrubbing the stain until it removes.
- Let the floor dry by turning on the fan.
Indeed, this is one of the best homemade cleaning solutions for paint stains as water and vinegar in this solution dissolve water-based paint stains for oil-based paint stains, dish soap and rubbing alcohol is added to the solution.
2. Nail Polish Remover
- The first step is to clean the dirt and debris from the floor with a vacuum cleaner or a mop. You can also use a vacuum first and then wipe off the surface with a mop for the residues left behind after vacuuming for a thorough cleaning.
- The acetone nail polish remover helps to loosen the paint stains on your floor.
- Apply the nail polish remover to the paint stains and let it sit here for a few minutes.
- Wipe off the paint with a rag.
- Repeat the steps if needed. This method will require a few attempts until the complete removal of paint stains.
If this method didn’t work on your paint stains, you could try other methods mentioned in this guide.
3. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol has excellent paint-removing properties. Rubbing alcohol can remove paint stains from concrete or vinyl floor. Alcohol content helps remove the dried stubborn paint stains from the laminated floor. Apart from floors, rubbing alcohol can remove paint stains from clothes also.
- Clean the floor with a vacuum cleaner and a mop first before applying rubbing alcohol to the paint stains.
- Wet a piece of paper towel or cloth with rubbing alcohol.
- Put the wet cloth over the paint stains on the floor.
- Make sure that the entire paint stain is dipped into the rubbing alcohol.
- Let the liquid sit over the targeted area for five minutes.
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in the water. Wipe off the paint and rub alcohol with this cloth.
Using rubbing alcohol to remove paint stains is an effective and efficient way.
4. Ammonia-based Window Cleaner
- Remove the dirt and debris from the floor with a vacuum or a map. Wipe off the floor thoroughly so there will be no debris particles scratching the floor.
- Take any ammonia-based window cleaner and spray it onto the paint stains.
- Let the window cleaner soak into the paint stains for a few minutes.
- Rub the paint stain with a rag in a back and forth motion.
- Apply more window cleaner to the paint stains and scrub off after a few minutes.
- Rinse your laminated floor with warm water after applying ammonia-based window cleaner.
Allow your floor to air dry before using it.
Also Read: Mop and Glue Ruined My Floors- How to Fix?
Paint stains on the laminated floor can be removed without using intense chemicals. You can try a home-based cleaning solution, nail paint remover, or window cleaner. It’s better to put a cloth in a work area where you will be painting so that no stain will damage your floor.
Related Guide: can you paint a vinyl and linoleum floor?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to remove dried gloss paint from vinyl flooring?
Rubbing alcohol is a strong paint remover, and you can use it to remove paint stains from vinyl flooring. Put a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth or rag. Gently rub the paint stains with this cloth. If you fail to remove the stain this way, place the cloth soaked with rubbing alcohol over the stained area. Let the stain soak into the rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and remove it through scrubbing afterward.
2. Is acetone safe to use on laminated floors?
Yes, acetone is safe to use on laminated floors. Acetone or nail polish remover effectively cleans paint, oil, marker, lipstick, or ink stains from the laminated floor. Soak a clean cloth or rag into the acetone and put it over the stain for a few minutes. Scrub the stain with the same cloth to remove it from the floor.
3. Can you use bleach on the laminated floor?
Please avoid using bleach on the laminated floor as it can damage the finish of a laminate floor. You can occasionally use mild bleach on your laminate floor, but you have to remove it from the floor completely. Otherwise, it will damage the floor and reduces its shine.