You can clean a heavily soiled carpet with DIY methods, rented commercial machines, or professional cleaning services.
5 DIY Methods to Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda can clean heavily soiled carpets and remove stubborn stains from carpets. .
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the carpet.
- Use a fresh dry sponge mop to grind or push baking soda into the carpet.
- Let it sit for half an hour to absorb dirt and stains.
- Use a damp cloth to bloat it away.
- Repeat the process if needed.
You can also use baking soda in paste form to clean your carpet.
- Make a paste of baking soda with water.
- Apply this paste all over the carpet.
- Use a damp rag to push this paste into the carpet.
- Remove the paste with a clean cloth afterward.
- Let the carpet dry before using it.
2. White Vinegar
Only use diluted vinegar if the carpet manufacturer recommends it. It can damage your carpet’s fibers.
- Dust your heavily soiled carpet with a cloth or rag before applying vinegar.
- Take white vinegar and water in equal parts to make a solution.
- Add this solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution all over the carpet.
- Let it dry for a few minutes to hours.
- Take a damp cloth or rag to bloat the mixture.
- Clean the carpet with a dry cloth in the end.
- Let the carpet dry overnight and turn on the ceiling fans.
3. Club Soda
- Pour club soda into a spray bottle.
- Spray it over the entire carpet, especially on stained areas.
- Let this solution sit for a few minutes to penetrate the carpet.
- Bloat it with a kitchen towel or with any clean cloth.
- Repeat this process if you needed.
- After cleaning, let the carpet dry under ceiling fans.
4. Laundry detergent
Laundry detergent is safe for wool, cotton, and silk carpets.
- Add equal parts of laundry detergent and carpet cleaning shampoo in a spray bottle with water.
- Spray this mixture over the carpet thoroughly.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, and then use a damp rag to bloat up dirt and detergent.
- You can also use a soft scrub brush to remove dirt and debris from your carpet.
- Repeat this process if stains persist.
5. Use Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
- Prepare a cleaning solution by adding ¾ cup hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons fabric softener, and 2 tablespoons of dish soap in a gallon of warm water.
- Use a spray bottle to spread this mixture on the entire carpet.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oil into the mixture if you find the odor unpleasant.
- Leave this solution over the carpet for a few minutes.
- Use a soft scrub brush to remove the dirt and stains from the carpet.
- Rinse the carpet with water.
- Take a clean rag or cloth to dry the carpet.
- Dry the carpet before using it.
Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet with Machines
You will need a powerful vacuum cleaner, a steam cleaner, and a commercial carpet cleaner for this method. You can also rent a carpet cleaning machine or hire a professional.
Step 1: Vacuuming
Vacuum your carpet 2-3 times to remove as much dust and debris from the carpet. It helps in next steps.
Step 2: Spot Cleaning
Identify the dirtiest spots on your carpet. Spot-clean them with a commercial cleaner or make a cleaning solution from salt, vinegar, and borax in equal parts. Clean the spots with the solution and let it dry. Vacuum again to remove dust and debris.
Step 3: Steam Cleaning
Steam clean your carpet as you clean other surfaces but be careful and use medium settings. You must not let the cleaner stay for too long at one point as it can burn carpet fibers.
Step 4: Drying
Let the carpet dry completely before reusing it. Turn on the fans and open windows and doors for ventilation. You can use a vacuum to dry the carpet if it supports wet vacuuming.
Place obstacles to stop people from walking over wet carpets, and don’t let your pets get on a wet carpet.
Tips to Keep Your Carpet Clean For a Longer Period
- Put a rag or doormat at the entrance of your home, office, or any place that has carpets.
- Try to remove shoes at the door to avoid bringing debris into the carpets in your homes.
- Regularly clean your carpets with a vacuum cleaner to avoid building up debris and dirt layers on them.
- Clean spills as soon as possible because it will become hard to remove them after drying.
- Keep carpets dry because a wet carpet can easily absorb stains and dirt.
- Always check the cleaning liquid’s compatibility with the carpet before using it on your carpet.