Our carpets face heavy foot traffic all day that causes stains, dirt, and debris accumulations. Especially carpets in the commercial buildings like schools, offices, community centers, and other public places get heavily soiled. There is immense foot traffic on these carpets, so they get dirtier than your home carpets.
Whether a carpet is present in home or in a commercial space, it needs frequent cleaning. A heavily soiled carpet is dangerous for your surroundings and air quality. You need professional help for heavily soiled carpet as it can also have stubborn stains and other debris. But, you can also clean your carpets by yourself with below mentioned ways.
Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet with Machines
To clean a heavily soiled carpet, you need a powerful vacuum cleaner. Your vacuum cleaner should have a strong suction power for deep cleaning the carpet. The stronger your vacuum is, the better will be the cleaning results. Besides this, you also need a robust steam cleaner for this cleaning method. Follow the given steps to clean your dirty carpet with a vacuum and steam cleaner. Normally we face sand issues in cars more than our bedroom carpet, we have shared car vacuum cleaners for sand, do check them out.
Step 1: Vacuuming
Vacuuming is the essential part of carpet cleaning with a machine. It helps to lose dirt and debris from the carpet and submerge them from it. Vacuum the entire carpet thoroughly and slowly from all directions. Cover the whole carpet area with a vacuum from all sides. Before performing any other cleaning action, you should vacuum your carpet 3-4 times.
Step 2: Spot Cleaning
After vacuuming, go for the spot treatment. Inspect the entire carpet to see stains and marks. Now, use stain removal as a pre-treatment to remove these stains. You can get any good carpet stain remover from the market.
If you don’t want to use commercial stain removers, you can make the one in your home. Take salt, borax, and vinegar in equal parts. Mix and apply them over the stains and marks. Let the mixture dry. When the solution dries, vacuum it for spot cleaning.
Step 3: Steam Cleaning
After spot cleaning, the next step is to steam clean your heavily soiled carpet. You have to fill a steam cleaner with hot water for this step. Add a suitable cleaning agent to your steam cleaner suits your carpet fabric. If you don’t want to use a commercial cleaner, you can use vinegar instead of it.
Take 1 cup of white vinegar and add it to 2.5 gallons of water for steam cleaning. The hot water will help dissolution of all deep-rooted grime. The dirt will be pulled out with water during extraction. This is the most effective step in deep cleaning your carpet.
Step 4: Drying
You can dry your carpet with the extraction mode of the steam cleaner. Use this mode for drying the carpet at least 3 to 4 times. A steam cleaner will extract most of the water from the carpet. When the carpet is left damped, please leave it to dry. Turn on the ceiling fans and open the windows and door for better air circulation.
You can also use a vacuum too fast dry your carpet. This method, as mentioned above, is one of the easiest and most effective methods for a carpet cleaner. If you have a good vacuum cleaner and an efficient steam cleaner, you should opt for this cleaning method.
Clean Heavily Soiled Carpet without Machines
If you don’t own a vacuum or steam cleaner, you have to take them on rent for a carpet cleaning. It will be costly and a burden on your pocket. So, it would help if you do not take them on rent as this guide also provides you with carpet cleaning methods without heavy machines. Below are the ways used to clean heavily soiled carpets without machines.
1. Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent cleaning agent. From fabric stains to carpets, it can clean everything quickly. It can absorb mud, grease, stains, and other residues from carpets and other fabrics. Follow the given steps to clean your dirty carpet with baking soda.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the carpet.
- Use a fresh dry sponge mop to grind or push baking soda into the carpet.
- Let it sit for half an hour to absorb dirt and stains.
- Use a damp cloth to bloat it away.
- Repeat the process if needed.
You can also use baking soda in paste form to clean your carpet. The other method of carpet cleaning with baking soda is given below.
- Make a paste of baking soda with water.
- Apply this paste all over the carpet.
- Use a damp rag to push this paste into the carpet.
- Remove the paste with a clean cloth afterward.
You have to let your carpet dry overnight by turning on the ceiling fans. After completely dry, you can now use your rug.
2. Use White Vinegar
White vinegar is another good household ingredient to use for carpet cleaning. Vinegar has powerful cleansing properties, and it extracts stubborn stains from fabric quite quickly. It removes dirt from the carpet and fluffs up your old and worn-out carpet.
- Dust your heavily soiled carpet with a cloth or rag before applying vinegar.
- Take white vinegar and water in equal parts to make a solution.
- Add this solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray the water and vinegar solution all over the carpet.
- Let it dry for a few minutes to hours.
- Take a damp cloth or rag to bloat the mixture.
- Clean the carpet with a dry cloth in the end.
- Let the carpet dry overnight and turn on the ceiling fans.
3. Use Club Soda
Club soda is a powerful carpet cleaner. It has a high pH level and forms extremely tiny bubbles that go deep into the carpet for proper cleaning. It can remove stubborn stains, including blood and wine stains also, from the carpet. Follow the given steps to clean your heavily soiled carpet with club soda.
- Pour club soda into a spray bottle.
- Spray it over the entire carpet, especially on stained areas.
- Let this solution sit for a few minutes to penetrate the carpet.
- Now, bloat it with a kitchen towel or with any clean cloth.
- Repeat this process if you needed.
- After cleaning, let the carpet dry under ceiling fans.
4. Use Laundry detergent
Laundry detergent is safe to use on carpets as it is designed to clean wool, cotton, silk, and other fabrics. You can use laundry detergent in the following way to clean your heavily soiled carpet.
- Take a spray bottle and add laundry detergent and carpet cleaning shampoo in equal parts.
- Add water to this spray bottle to make a mixture of laundry detergent and carpet cleaning shampoo.
- Spray this mixture over the carpet thoroughly.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, and then use a damp rag to bloat up dirt and detergent.
- You can also use a soft scrub brush to remove dirt and debris from your carpet.
- Repeat this process of thorough cleaning.
5. Use Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Hydrogen peroxide is an intense stain remover. If you have a heavily soiled carpet with different kinds of stains, then you can use hydrogen peroxide solution to remove them. Take a gallon of warm water. Add ¾ cup hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons fabric softener, and 2 tablespoons of dish soap into that warm water to make a mixture.
- Use a spray bottle to spread this mixture on the entire carpet.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oil into the mixture if you find the odor unpleasant.
- Leave this solution over the carpet for a few minutes.
- Use a soft scrub brush to remove the dirt and stains from the carpet.
- Rinse the carpet with water.
- Take a clean rag or cloth to dry the carpet.
- Let the carpet leave overnight and turn on the ceiling fans to dry it.
Tips to Keep Your Carpet Clean For a Longer Period
Here are some valuable tips that prevent getting your carpets dirty quickly.
- Put a rag or doormat at the entrance of your home, office, or any place that has carpets. In this way, heavily soiled feet won’t directly reach your carpets. Also, clean these doormats regularly so that they can absorb dirt from the shoes as much as possible.
- Try to remove shoes at the door to avoid bringing debris into the carpets in your homes.
- Regularly clean your carpets with a vacuum cleaner to avoid building up debris and dirt layers on them.
- Clean spills as soon as possible because it will become hard to remove them after drying.
- Keep carpets dry because a wet carpet can easily absorb stains and dirt. And it will become difficult to clean such carpets.
- Do not use heavy-duty chemicals in carpet cleaning. These chemicals will damage the upper layer of your carpet and make them look old sooner.
Carpets in homes and commercial places will both get dirty anyway. This guide provides various cleaning methods for heavily soiled carpets with and without machines. If your carpet is not cleaned after applying all these techniques, call for professional help.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is the most effective method to clean a heavily soiled carpet?
Vacuuming is the best and most effective method to clean a heavily soiled carpet. Before vacuuming, it’s better to perform pre-treatments for spot cleanings. After removing stubborn stains through a specific treatment, you can vacuum your heavily soiled carpet for cleaning. It will remove all the dirt and debris that accumulates on your carpet.
2. How can you clean a carpet without a machine and expensive chemicals?
Take a bucket full of cold water. Add enough dish soap into the bucket and mix it well. Spray this mixture onto the carpet with the help of a spray bottle. Use a soft and clean scrub brush to remove dirt from the carpet. After that, rinse the carpet with clean cold water. Then, turn on the ceiling fans and let the carpet dry for a few hours before using it again.
3. How to use baking soda and vinegar together for carpet stain cleaning?
Baking soda and vinegar both are effective against carpet stains. Pour a tiny amount of vinegar on the spot. Now, sprinkle baking soda over the vinegar. Baking soda will bubble up, and the mixture will absorb the stain. Rub or remove the stain with a clean white cloth. Let it dry and in the end, vacuum up.