A cat is a low-maintenance and lovely pet that anyone can keep at home. Besides having so much fun with your cat, you still worry about removing its urine from your carpet. Even a well-trained cat can pee on carpet or upholstery accidentally. So, it isn’t indeed uncommon that you have to remove dried cat urine from your carpet.
The dried cat urine has an unbearable strong smell that makes it difficult for you to breathe in the same room. If you are looking for ways to remove dried cat urine from your carpet, you are at the right site. Look at the following methods to clean dried cat urine from your carpets.
3 Effective Methods to Clean Dried Cat Urine from Carpet
Method 1: With Enzymatic Cleaners
Pet urine stains and odor-eliminating enzymatic cleaners are readily available in the market or at online stores. You can buy any enzymatic cleaner of your choice from Amazon. Use it to remove dried cat urine from the carpet in the following way.
- Put warm water over the dried cat urine stain to loosen it up.
- Blot as much urine from the carpet as you can with a dry cloth or rag.
- Apply any good enzymatic cleaner to the cat urine spot. These cleaners help break down the acidic urine of cats.
- You have to leave the cleaner on the stain for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Use a clean cloth to blot up the cleaner from the carpet. Use a clean cloth for blotting to avoid reintroducing urine into the carpet.
- Now dip a clean cloth into warm water and clean the spot area. You have to blot it until the stain removes. Dry it with another clean cloth.
- Repeat the entire procedure if necessary.
Method 2: With Vinegar
As vinegar is an effective household stain remover, you can apply it over dried cat urine to remove its stain from the carpet. Along with removing stains, it kills bacteria too from the rug.
- Add half a cup of warm water and a half cup of vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on the dried cat urine stains that you spot on your carpet.
- Saturate the spot area with this solution thoroughly and let it settle for 5 minutes at least.
- Now blot the excess moisture with any clean towel or cloth and let the treated area dry.
If the stain still persists, you can sprinkle baking soda over it after vinegar cleaning. After spreading the baking soda, you have to leave it overnight. As vinegar lights up the stain, baking soda will completely eliminate it with its strong alkaline action. In the morning, vacuum the sprinkled baking soda from the carpet.
Method 3: With Hydrogen Peroxide, Dish Soap, and Baking Soda
Another effective way of cleaning dried cat urine from the carpet is to use baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish soap. Follow the given procedure to remove the cat’s urine stains from your carpet.
- Loosen up the dried cat urine stain by sprinkling warm water over the stain.
- Blot up extra urine with a dried cloth as much as possible.
- After blotting up, take baking soda in your hand and sprinkle it over the cat’s urine stain.
- Now make a solution with 3 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. Use bleach free dishwashing liquid to make this solution.
- Apply this mixture over sprinkled baking soda area.
- Take a soft bristle brush and scrub the stained area with this brush in a circular motion. Baking soda and other ingredients will go down to the fabric and remove the dried urine from your carpet in a few minutes.
- Allow this mixture to stay on the carpet until it gets dry.
- Remove the excessive baking soda with a vacuum.
How to Remove Cat Urine’s Odor from Carpet?
Due to higher concentrations of uric acid and proteins, a cat urine odor is strong and intense. If you do not adopt immediate cleaning strategies for odor elimination, it may last forever. Thus, to neutralize cat urine smell, use baking soda first. Baking soda is a good smell absorber, so you can sprinkle it over your carpet to absorb cat urine’s odor.
Besides baking soda, using scented oils is also effective in eliminating foul odors. Take a spray bottle, half fill it with warm water, and add ¼ cup of white vinegar. Now add 5-6 drops of your favorite essential oil into the bottle. Spray this mixture on your carpet and let it dry. Vacuum it afterward and the foul cat’s urine smell will surely go away.
Cats are one of the friendliest and easy to maintain pets but removing their urine from the carpet is undoubtedly an awful experience. If you have dried cat urine stains on your carpet, you can remove them within minutes with some homemade cleaning solutions. Vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dishwashing liquid are the few favorite ingredients for such cleaners.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What smells discourage cats from peeing on carpets?
Strong scents such as mint, citrus fruit, and vinegar deter the cats from peeing on the carpets. If your cat has a problem or is behaving oddly, you can take help from these scents. Keep these scents near your carpeted area to discourage them from peeing on the carpet.
2. Why is vinegar good cat urine cleaner?
Although it has a pungent smell, vinegar is excellent cat urine cleaner. Cat urine is alkaline, while vinegar is acidic. So the acidic behavior of vinegar helps neutralize the salts present in the cat’s urine. As far as the vinegar’s smell is concerned, you can add a few drops of essential oil to the diluted vinegar solution for a good fragrance.
3. Does cat urine ruin carpet?
Yes, if you don’t remove the cat’s urine immediately from the carpet, it can ruin it. Dried cat urine can stain your carpet permanently, and it also gives a foul odor to the rug that will become hard to eliminate.