Mr. Clean first introduced magic erasers in 2003. Since then, they have become popular for cleaning various surfaces, clothes, and some utensils also. There isn’t any need to use a cleaning solution when you have a magic eraser in your hands. It magically cleans different stained surfaces without any separate cleaner and tool. A question often asked about magic erasers is; can you use magic erasers on the vinyl floor? The simple answer is yes! Using magic erasers on vinyl floors doesn’t harm if you use them the right way.
What are Magic Erasers?
Magic erasers are exceptional cleaning products introduced by Mr. Clean. A magic eraser is a Duraform Sponge that cleans stubborn stains from different surfaces and clothes. Magic erasers are produced using melamine foam, utilizing a compound called formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. Melamine foam is made of a blend of hard and delicate structures, hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen. All these ingredients work together to eliminate stains without harming the surface below.
Different Types of Magic Erasers by Mr. Clean
- Magic Eraser Bath with Gain Original scent
- Magic Eraser Original
- Magic Eraser Bath with Febreze Lavender Scent
- Magic Eraser Variety Pack
- Magic Eraser Extra Durable
- Magic Eraser Kitchen with Dawn
Magic Erasers and Vinyl Flooring
Magic erasers are non-toxic and safe for household cleaning. You can use a magic eraser on hardwood floors, including vinyl flooring and linoleum flooring, painted walls (non-greasy), and other surfaces. Magic erasers are abrasive, so you must be careful while using them on vinyl floors. Be very gentle in rubbing magic erasers on sensitive floors so that they cannot damage your floors.
Using a magic eraser on vinyl flooring is one of the best ways to clean it without damage. It cleans all the grime and dirt from floors without even harming and scratching the vinyl floors. Make sure you rinse off the floor properly after using a magic eraser to remove any leftover residues.
How Does A Magic Eraser Work?
A magic eraser needs water to clean most stains without synthetic compounds or cleansers. Outwardly, they look, act and feel like most other wipes and sponges; however, this is the only similarity they have. Melamine foam is a permeable material that acts like extremely fine sandpaper to eliminate stains delicately. However, it feels delicate from the outside; every eraser is quite abrasive and uses little air pockets in the material to lift stains when moist.
Notwithstanding, one disadvantage is that magic eraser sponges truly do wear out rapidly because they are so porous; thus, assuming you have a ton of projects to handle, you might need to buy a couple of boxes. It happens because the sensitive sponge-like cell structure loosens the soil and gets the grime at the same time, breaking down the material.
How to Use Magic Eraser on Vinyl Floor?
Magic Erasers are most regularly utilized on surfaces like countertops, floors, and apparatuses. You can use it over the vinyl floor by following the method.
- Damp your magic eraser with little water.
- Wring it to squeeze out the excess water before use.
- Gently rub it over the stained vinyl floor.
- Make sure not to scrub it harshly on the vinyl floor; otherwise, its abrasive surface will erode your vinyl tiles and planks.
- It’s better to use a clean damp rag to clean the vinyl floor after using magic erasers to remove any leftover residues.
Areas to Avoid for Magic Erasers
Certain surfaces don’t react cool when you use a magic eraser over them. Please avoid using magic erasers on delicate and easily scratched surfaces. Also, avoid using a magic eraser on polished and high glossy surfaces as it can damage the finishing of these floors and cause irreversible damage. In short, you do not have to use magic erasers on the following surfaces:
- Painted, sealed, enameled, and polished surfaces
- Non-stick pans and pots
- Stainless steel surfaces
- Wood surface
- Natural stone surfaces, including marbles and granite
- Cars and screens
Pro Tip: It’s best to test magic eraser on an unnoticed area before using it over a large surface to check its damaging potential for that surface.
Pros and Cons of Magic Erasers
- Magic erasers are reusable, and you can use them for several cleaning projects.
- Super easy to use on all kinds of surfaces.
- Efficiently cleans stubborn stains from the floors and clothes.
- Safe to use on hardwood laminate floors, including vinyl flooring.
- Hard scrubbing can cause erosion of certain surfaces.
- Not suitable for polished and high glossy surfaces.
- It can be hazardous to humans and animals as it can irritate skin and eyes.
Magic erasers are safe and convenient cleaning options for vinyl floors. Without over-wetting, you can gently use them on vinyl floors. Moreover, you don’t need any cleaning solution or tool to use along with magic erasers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are magic erasers toxic?
Magic erasers are made by a compound called formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. Although the compound contains the word formaldehyde, it’s not an actual ingredient of a magic eraser. If formaldehyde was present in magic eraser, then it has to be toxic, but now, it’s completely safe for household use and is not toxic as well.
2. Is using a magic eraser safe on laminate floors?
Using a magic eraser on laminate floors is entirely safe as it doesn’t harm the finishing of these floors. Although the magic eraser is abrasive, you can safely use it on laminate floors by gentle rubbing. It effectively cleans small scuffs, pen marks, coffee and beverages stains from laminate floors.
3. Does a magic eraser ruin your countertop?
Magic erasers are abrasive; that’s why they are not recommended to use on countertops made from granite and marble. These erasers can scratch these delicate surfaces and dull them by removing their shine.